Best Deer Hoist Reviews of 2017 – 2018
There is nothing that excites a hunter more than downing a large deer in the woods. The feeling that you get when you spot your target through the scope is incredible. The next step is to make the kill and enjoy the catch. But once the deer is in your rack, the adrenaline fades away, and the work of cleaning takes over. The obvious is that a large deer is heavy and if you decide to skin it while on the ground, it may end up taking you a lot of time.
But don’t panic – We'll show you how to hang a deer correctly. A deer hoist is an essential tool that should be part of the hunter’s arsenal. These brilliant contraptions make hosting the large game so easy such that you can dress it the cinch. You can attach it to your trailer, hook the deer to the gambrel, then use the winch to lift the large deer or elk into position.
Just like other useful tools, there are different varieties of deer lifts available on the market today. You have the option of a manual or electric model for lifting your game. Choosing one that suits what you need can be a daunting task but we have made the work easier by rounding up the best deer hoists available to help you make an informed decision.
Let’s dive into our reviews of the best deer hoist in 2017 - 2018.
Top 5 Rated Models Comparison Table
1. Rage Powersports DEER-HOIST-SWIVEL 360
2. Guide Gear Deluxe Deer Hoist
3. Rage Powersports with Gambrel
4. ForEverlast Game Hanger Portable
5. Viking Solutions Kwik
Reviews of The Best Deer Hoist of 2017 - 2018
#1. Rage Powersports Hitch Mounted DEER-HOIST-SWIVEL 360
The number one pick on our list of the best deer hoists is the Range Powersports Hitch Mounted Deer-Hoist Swivel 360. What is appealing to many hunters with this model, is the fact that this unit converts a truck’s hitch into an excellent game hanging point ideal for cleaning your big game. This makes it the perfect solution for getting that big catch straight into your truck after skinning or cleaning, without having to break your back lifting it manually. The hoist comes with swivel-base design that includes a life strap, gambrel, and winch. The dimensions of this unit is 37.5 x 27 x 98.5 inches and also has a weight capacity of 500 lbs. The height is also adjustable and can be extended from 70" to 87", with the foot base also extending from 0.25" to 11.5".
What stands out with this model is its impressive weight capacity that it offers. 500 lbs is more than your average lifter and is ideal for those huge game catches. The construction and the options that it offers is also attractive to any hunter, as you can more than easily get stuck into your game from a verity of different angles thanks to its adjustability. The extendable foot also adds some great stability to the hanger, ensuring that your catch isn't going to swing around while attending to it. The steel framwork design is solid and built to last, ensuring that you get plenty of seasons out of your purchase regardless of what it goes through.
What we didn't like was the durability of the strap provided. Considering the price tag that it wears, you would expect the strap to be of better quality. The price that it demands is more than the other models on the list, however, it more than merits it in our opinion.
The Range Powersports Deer-Hoist Swivel 360 is our top choice on the market and is a serious investment, for the serious hunter. If you're looking for the perfect model to attach to your truck or trailer, then this hitch-mounted model should be where you spend your money.
- Has an adjustable height
- Maximum weight capacity of 500 lbs.
- A 360-degree pivot design for easier game loading
- Heavy steel construction
- The strap is not the most durable
- More expensive than the others - for a reason
#2. Guide Gear Deluxe Deer Hoist
Another hugely popular pick from the well-known manufacturer Guide Gear, the Deluxe Deer Hoist has lots going for the money it demands. The fun begins with its easy setup and use thanks to the winch provided. This makes dressing big game easier than ever with the Swivel lift pulley system that it offers. It can swivel a full 360 degrees to make it easier for you to unload your deer.
This model is also very easy to attach to your truck’s receiver hitch. The manual crank can support 300 lbs worth of game thanks to the strong cable that helps to raise it into the right position. Another great point is that it’s easy to break down for transportation and storage. The rugged steel construction is very durable and will last for years to come. To ensure your load is in place, the bracket locks the gambrel, and you can gently position your game where you want it to be. So for a high-quality lift system that has a bit of everything and is budget friendly, then the Guide Gear Deluxe Deer Hoist should definitely be considered.
- Makes a 360-degree swivel to unload big game
- Easy hitch attachment to the truck
- Strong cables to raise your game
- Durable steel construction
- Great price
- The winch may not be able to handle too much weight
- A little bit shorter than other hoists
#3. Rage Powersports Tripod Hoist with Gambrel
Again making our list from the well-known Rage Powersports is this freestanding tripod game lift with a gambrel. Coming in at 9 feet tall this lift includes a manual winch and has a weight capacity of 500 lbs. With heavy duty steel construction, the Rage tripod deer hanger can be easily folded away and setup where you like. The height can be adjusted of this hoist is adjustable and has a 360 degree swivel base. The dimensions of this tripod come in at 72 x 72 x 108 inches and is a little bit heavier at 50 lbs.
There's lots to like about with this hoist, starting out with the quality construction that it sports. The build quality is up there as one of the best and should last you a long time. The hoist can also hold up to 500 lbs of game which is one of the better capacity lifts on the market, and should more than comfortably hold your big deer. One major draw of this model is the fact that it's foldable and can be assembled very easily and used where ever you like thanks to its ground spike legs. The price that this comes in at is very reasonable as well when compared with other similar models.
One thing that can be off-putting with this model is how much it weighs. It is typically heavier than most other models, though it can be folded away easily which makes it easy to transport about. We would recommend buying a good bag to carry it around. Another thing that may be a problem for some hunters depending on your needs, is the fact that this does not have a hitch mount.
Overall If you need a good priced hoist that is very easy and quick to setup where ever you want, then this is a good long-term investment for you. It includes everything you'll need including a gambrel and should be more than capable of hoisting any big game. Just remember that if you're looking for a model with a hitch mount then this is not the right option for you.
- Easy to setup and use
- Good quality construction
- Holds up to 500 lbs
- Can be used anywhere since it's free-standing
- Comes with gambrel
- Heavier than most models - although can be folded away
- No hitch mount
#4. ForEverlast Game Hanger Portable
The ForEverlast Hanger Portable Tripod is another top rated model that easily makes our top list. This unit features a strong winch and chain which offers a 500 lb weight capacity to help eliminate all the stress of pulling that big game out the woods. Just like the Rage Deer-Hoist Swivel 360 hoist, the Game Hanger Tripod has a 360 degrees pivot design to make it easy to lift the deer up for skinning or gutting. The steel construction will ensure that it will last many hunting seasons.
Its compactness is a plus point in most cases as you can leave it in your car and use the Portable Tripod to load the catch onto your truck. It's also very easy to set up, and is collapsible within minutes. This skinner Tripod Game Hoist carries a larger price tag than most other models and is not suitable for every budget.
Overall, the Game Hanger Tripod is a great pick for those looking for a reliable winch to hoist big game that will last for years to come. This is a higher-priced model so consider if it meets all your requirements carefully before purchasing.
- Heavy duty winch system
- A galvanized tubing for durability
- Provides a weight capacity of 500 lbs.
- The winch lock is not great
- More expensive
#5. Viking Solutions Kwik
The new Viking Solutions KwikHoist is another suitable option for hoisting that just makes our list. It’s lightweight coming in at just 17.5 lbs. It’s also designed to be fast and easy to set up and use. Within minutes, you can have it attached to a pole or tree, and you're ready to go. The crank winch can hold up to 300 lbs, and you have the freedom to set it at the desired height.
Carrying the Viking KwikHoist in your truck is convenient, and you can crank heavy game high enough to dress or load onto your vehicle at any time. The powder coat finish winch features machined pulleys that make this winch easy to use and will offer great functioning for years. It is designed for hoisting game, however, you can also use it to crank up feeders or any other items in woods easily.
Overall the price is ok for what you get, nothing special. It can do the job just fine and is best suited for attaching to trees in the woods, it is not a recommended lifter for getting game into your vehicle. It will last you a long time, however, only having a weight capacity of 300 lbs it may not be adequate for every game hunter.
- Lightweight and comfortable to carry around
- Has a powder coat finish that will last
- Simple and fast attachment to a tree or pole
- Can only hold up to 300 lbs.
- No foot base
- Can't set it up at your truck
What to Look For Before Buying a Game Lift
Since there is a lot of deer hoist models out there on the market today, choosing the right one that fits your requirements may seem tricky. Getting the best deer hoist for your needs is really pretty simple, you just need to examine and compare the key features that each model offers.
Some key points to look out for when buying a game lift are:
- Quality and type of construction - Before buying a potential deer lift, you may wish to look at the type of construction it offers. Although they're less expensive to produce, plastic lifts lack the long-lasting characteristics that a good quality model requires. The best make of deer hoists are those made of metal and steel construction. There are other hand-held versions that will allow the hoist to be productive in poor weather conditions.
- Strength / Capacity - The construction of a good hoist should be strong and able to comfortably handle large game. The patented main bracket is what determines the strength of each hoist. It ensures the weight is evenly distributed through the main bracket, up the cables and the tree or post. Always check what weight capacity your desired lift offers.
- Hitch Mounted Attachment - Some models have a hitch attachment with them making it easy to get it hooked up to your truck or trailer receiver hitch. This is a handy feature if you need to get your catch in your truck easily, however, most models don't offer this so if it's a requirement then check our list to see what hoists offer it.
- Portability - Depending on how you are intending to use it, you may want a mobile or portable hanging option that can be carried around with you and setup anywhere. It should be lightweight, collapsible/foldable and be easy to transport in your truck. The setup should also be straight forward and easy, as the last thing you want is to leave a deer lying for some time while you struggle to set the hoist up.
- Durability - A good deer hoist should come with solid construction and a tough coating, ensuring that your investment will last you a long time. Most of the designs use a braided nylon rope. The ideal rope should not fray or rust, thus making it the best choice for withstanding many seasons of poor weather conditions.
- Price - The price does not vary massively from model-to-model in this market, and there really isn't much between all the models price wise. It's just a case of finding the deer lift that ticks all the boxes for your needs and requirements. All the models in our reviews are typically around the $100-$150 range, this is the standard price range for a good hoist.
These should be seen as long-term investments, so make sure you choose one that has the weight capacity to handle the level of game you hunt.
Final Word on the Reviews of the Best Hoist For Deer
As more and more hunters take to the woods on game hunting adventures, the need to process and field dress a deer has become even more popular. To do this successfully, you need to use a good deer lift to hold the game up allow the deer to bleed out, also making it easy for the skinning and gutting process. While some hunters opting to use a garage rafter or a rope tied on a tree limb to pull the deer up, these lifts undoubtedly make things a lot easier and give you more flexibility with your catch.
That's all for our detailed buying guide and reviews list. We have reviewed some of the best deer hoist choices on the market in 2017 - 2018, laying out exactly what each model offers and what you should be looking for. So, now it's your turn now to get out there with the right equipment and improve your hunting experience tenfold!